You no longer have to choose between automated or custom data stories.
We all know that custom dashboard commentary is time-consuming to write, error-prone and simply not scalable.
That’s why we designed Quill’s superpower to write out-of-the-box stories with language to translate across any of your dashboards at scale, regardless of the industry or use case.
But dashboard commentary is not one-size-fits-all.
What can be missing in automated stories? Personalization. Your tone of voice or style guide. Context that only you would know and be able to communicate to your end user.
Now you can combine the power of Quill’s out-of-the-box stories with custom insights from right within Quill for Tableau.
We took our analytics that you know and love, and created a library of our favorite functions that you can insert alongside text that is written in your own words.
Quill will still give you commentary in seconds, but now you can choose the level of customization that is best for your audience.
Quill data storytellers can truly have it all.
Watch our video or follow the steps below to see how to use custom content:
- Set up a story and open your edit modal
- Select ‘add custom content’ to create a new piece of content
- Type in your new content and select the fx button on the right of your custom content to add a function. You’ll see a list of functions appear in the dropdown.
- Select a function from the list of dropdowns and fill in the required fields. For example, if I wanted to know the state with the highest profit, I would select MaxLabel as my function and then designate the measure as ‘profit’. This would return the name of the state. If I wanted to know the profit value of that state, I would insert another function into my text called MaxValue and follow the prompts given.
- Click the green ‘add function’ button to insert in your custom content.
- Save your story and see custom content evaluate in your dashboard!
This feature is available to all SaaS and On Premises Tableau as of April 28th. If you’re a current Quill for Tableau on premises user and would like to access these features, please reach out to your customer success manager.
If you’d like to get set up with Quill for Tableau for the first time, please request a demo below and a member of our team will reach out shortly!